A digital library is a library in which collections are stored in digital formats (as opposed to print, microform, or other media) and accessible by computers. As a library reference model, Liberia Literary Society digital/online library comprehensively collects, manages and preserves for the long term rich digital contents of works written on Liberia and written by a Liberian author. All resources are in digital form; the physical and logical organization is virtual. Our goal is to promote efficient delivery of information economically to all users, access to large amounts of information to users wherever they are and whenever they need it. We are taking a leadership role in the generation and spreading of knowledge, advanced search, and retrieval.
- Liberia Literary Society online library is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; and can be accessed from anywhere in the world by anyone using the internet with a computer or a smartphone.
- The relevance of Preservation and Conservation of Liberia literary works to encourage co-operative efforts in research resource and communication networks.
Major Factors needed in implementing
- Infrastructure (main computer and host server)
- Digital Collections
- Systems function
- Telecommunication facility
- Human resources
- Database of digital material that is open to all users over the organization-wide LAN.
- High bandwidth Internet connectivity
- Focus selectively on acquiring digital resources
- Electronic journals
- Creation of local digital content available within the establishment
- Electronic materials within the field of study
Advantages over a traditional library
- Nearly unlimited storage space at a much lower cost
- Re-allocate funds from some staff, collection maintenance, and additional books
- No physical boundary
- Round the clock availability
- Multiple access & Universal accessibility
- Enhanced information retrieval
- Preservation for some print material
- Lack of constant and consistent power supply and internet facilities
- Difficulty in knowing and locating everything that is available
- Differentiating valuable from useless information
- Costs to upkeep digital library
- Lack of screening or validation
Together, let’s build a global Literary Library for future generations. Become a member, it’s free. If you are a Liberian author or publisher or know of one, please feel free to send us information to be added to our database.