The County’s flag is a royal blue cloth with the Liberian flag inserted in the upper left corner and two red and two white stripes in the lower right. The dark blue stands for loyalty, while the stripes represent the four Grand Bassa delegates who signed Liberia’s Declaration of Independence on 26 July 1847; Anthony Gardner, John Day, Ephraim Titler, and Amos Herring.
Grand Bassa County envisage a transformed, secured and prosperous County excellently governed with equal opportunities for all.
Grand Bassa County was among the three counties that originally formed the Republic of Liberia. The two major tribes are Bassa and Kpelle, followed by the Kru.
Grand Bassa County is one of the three original counties, along with Montserrado and Sinoe, that first formed the Republic of Liberia.
It was established in 1833 and its capital is Buchanan City, named for Thomas Buchanan, an American who served as the first Governor of the Commonwealth of Liberia.
Bassa-speaking people are in the majority, making up 94% of the County’s population. Other ethnic groups in the County include the Kpelle (5%), and the Kissi (1%), and small numbers of other groups.
Goods available in the markets are locally grown; dry and fresh pepper, cassava, eddoes, plantains, potatoes, and other vegetables and fruits as well as bush meat and palm oil. Onions, salt, stock cubes, rice, washing and bath soap, skin cream, slippers, tomatoes, and the majority of sundry items are carried from Monrovia.
The County has several major rivers; St. John, Farmingtohn, Merchin, New Cess, Ilor, Timbo, and Benson River.
Grand Bassa County is endowed with ample exploitable natural resources, including gold, timber, diamonds, crude oil, uranium, sand and rock.
District # 1
District # 2
District # 3
District # 4
St. John River
Source: Grand Bassa County Development Agenda (2008-2012)